1.15.2010

Pippilotta Viktualia Rullgardina Krusmynta Efraimsdotter Långstrump (aka Pippi Longstocking).

The first time I came across Hel Looks a couple of years ago, I spent a good day and a half straight looking through the 96,000+ photos.

What kept me going (besides the AWESOME fashion, enviable hairstyles, inventive use of colors/layers/overcoats, the overwhelming patronage to "recycle centers"- aka thrift stores, and the DIY mentality towards bags/purses/accessories/everythinginlife) was how many gals stated "Pippi Longstocking" as an inspiration. A fictional book/tv/movie character as a STYLE-SPIRATION (thanks Jaya! repeater-disease is fighting its way through my tight-closed lips!)

Pippi Longstocking.

So, I went and watched the American version: The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking, and I was sadly underwhelmed. I probabbbbly should've watched it as a child, but I didn't and now I'm stuck with the idea that Pippi is just Liar McLiar-son in pigtails.

Then I went and watched the original Swedish version and I LOVED IT. I get it. Ragamuffin girl comes into town, shakes it up a bit, tangles with the local popos, and buys a lot of candy for a lot of (utterly adorable) children. Anyone with kids or anyone who's a Swedish-ophile (ahhhh, sounds dirty) should watch it (sidenotes: it's dubbed [boooooo!] but by the end you'll forget, and doing a backflip off the roof of a house will only land you in the hospital or dead in a ditch. watch it and you'll understand).

PICTURE MONTAGE TIME!
Pippi Longstocking.>
Pippi Longstocking.
Pippi Longstocking.
Pippi Longstocking.
Pippi Longstocking.
Pippi Longstocking.
Pippi Longstocking.
Pippi Longstocking.
Pippi Longstocking.
Pippi Longstocking.
Pippi Longstocking.
Pippi Longstocking.



Villa Villekula (name of the house) is battling it out with the Beetlejuice house for the coveted spot in my heart, "House Of My DREAMS." Ohhhh, I just googles "Beetlejuice House" annnnd, STILL LOVE IT. #1! #1! #1!




LOOOOVE YOU.


1 comment:

  1. I <3 Pippi, she was the best. I would spend many a saturday watching her and signing along. I wonder what ever happened to Tommy & Anika.
    One of my favorite episodes is when she goes to the candy store and buy all the candy to give to the local kids....AH Classic!
    I can go on & on about Pippi...but I won't!
    Grate Post!

    ReplyDelete