9.16.2010

Roughin' It: A Lesson In Camping + Preparedness.

I went camping and SURVIVED.

It was fun and beautiful and life-affirming and dirty.

We saw the mountains, the trees, and the beauty that is a creek hidden in the woods.

Annnnd, we took over 500 photos. Yes, OVER 500 photos.

Out of the 500, I narrowed it down to a measly 72 pictures to put on my FB. Out of the 72, I've chosen to post 40 up on my Flickr. Out of the 40, I'm gonna only post up about 20 pictures on the blaaaagh.

*THINGS WE LEARNED/DID (aka "How to make fools of ourselves in a forest/small town setting."):

  • The Boy Scouts are right: "Always Be Prepared."
  • No matter how hot it is during the day, it's ALWAYS going to be 30 degrees F (about 0 c) at night.
  • We LOVE hot, well-made coffee.
  • I love pocket knives.
  • No matter where you go, there WILL BE A THRIFT STORE.
  • Jaya and I dress pretty much the same way we do when in L.A.: inappropriately.
  • I still want to live in the woods, but not in a tent.
  • No matter the situation, Mary or I will find a movie/t.v. show to quote.

**QUOTABLE QUOTES OF THE TRIP: Our "boisterous" friend, The Tapper, went camping with us, annnnd Me + Her = Quoting CHAMPIONS! Here are the top 4 quotes of the trip ( and if you can figure out where they're from before clicking on the link, I'll give you an internet high-five!!) :
-"I've made a HUGE MISTAKE."
-"I hate you bees! I hate you bees! I hate you bees!"
-"That's what she said."
-"Like a twinkie, like a twinkie."

***PICTURE MONTAGE TIME!!: I'll try to keep my comments down to a shout, sooooo enjoy some pictures and GO EXPLORE NATURE!
--
The campsite:
Campsite @ Lily Creek, Idyllwild, CA
Finished tent.

I MAKE FIRE. ME WOMAN!!!:
I MAKE FIRE.

My favorite kind of 'mallow: CHARRED BEYOND BELIEF.:
Charred 'mallow for s'mores.

Two things: 1) The biggest reason I wanted to go camping to was to stargaze. Living in a city with millions of lights, I don't get a chance to see more than five stars at night. I know, BOOOO HOOOO, Kaya. Sooo, this is my night sky-watching outfit and 2) I look like a gym rat lost in the woods.:
I'm like a gym rat in the woods.
--
The first night was terrible (sleeping on the ground is ridiculous (just as Jaya... hint hint)) because we only got 3 hrs. of sleep, collectively, but the next morning... refreshing? I jumped at the chance to cook with the propane grill, which was greaaaat, because the next morning it almost blew up.: 
Weak coffee and undercooked hashbrowns.

"I hate you bees! I hate you bees! I hate you bees!" We spent the second day looking around town and sampling the local wares (FYI: the food was turrrrible).:
A turkey sausage gets violated.

At a restaurant, Jaya GOT RECOGNIZED. A random lady stopped her and said, "Hey tattoo girl, you look familiar. You're unforgettable, but in a good way." WHAAAAA? Even freakier, this is the second time this has happened to her (the last time: Palm Springs, in a thrift store, by a VS student hair stylist).:
Fooling around.

Found a pair of vintage leather boots:
Jaya found me some boots!

Outfit change. Wearing Jaya's thrifted find:
Outfit change!
Looking like a couple of degenerates.
Yah! But in focus!

Last night.:
Enjoying the fire.
Campfire!
Jaya's coveted shot.

Last day! Packing up and getting ready to hike Lily Creek:
LAST DAY!
Running through a field/
RAWWWR.
AWESOME.

Laaaaater NATURE!

P.S.: Thanks Idyllwild, CA for treating us SO GOOOOOD.