12.23.2010

"(S)He look-a like-a MAN."

A post before I go and bake a fantastically goopy carrot cake for Christmas!

--
Growing up as a little dudette in L.A., I was constantly referred to as "sir" or "son."

"Um, Sir? Can you move out of the way of the forklift? Thanks?" BTW, who calls a 13 yr. old "sir"?

"Umm, son? That's the women's restroom. Ohhh, okay nevermind."

Why? I had delusion from grades 3rd to 7th, and a little bit of 8th... and parts of junior year in highschool,... and maybe again in my early 20s,  that I looked great with boy short hair.

Again with this photo, circa 1995-96. I was letting my hair grow out, that is until 1997, when I cut it short(er) again.
My inspirations?

Chynna Phillips (of the Wilson Phillips).
And that dummy, Angelina Jolie, via Hackers (waaaatch it. watch it right now. it's a culturally irrelevant movie, but it's the 90s at its zenith).

If you know my hair texture (thick, wavy, and lots of it), then you know that THIS IS THE WORST POSSIBLE HAIRCUT EVER FOR THIS HAIR TYPE.  

But I didn't care. I loved getting haircuts, and if it meant that I was mistaken for a dude, then soooo be it.

(**Sidenote: what probably didn't help was my tomboy phase. Can you call it "tomboy" if it just straight up looked like/was guy clothes? I wore hiking boots (while NOT hiking) with gross jeans and polos (typing that combo of clothes just made my mind explode); striped shirts with long undershirts with ugly Adidas sneaks; and denim short-alls with thick white socks and green Airwalks. Yeesssh.)

The greatest part, though? I was NEVER made fun of, picked on, or harassed about what can only be described as "a man dressing as a lesbian who's actually a women" style. 

Wellll, I was made fun of once, by a classmated who called me "Mushroom head" (my head looked like a mushroom), but I kindly returned the favor and called him "Watermelon head" (his head shape reallly look watermelon-ish to me) until he cried and we both got detention. 

--
Annnnyway, I've ditched the man-cuts (for now), but I am totally delving back into man-style.

Look at me doing manly things, like putting tranny fluid into my "trusty" Corolla, affectionately named "Cooper Nielson".

--
If I don't get around to this later today or tomorrow, MERRY CHRISTMAS!